All Companies should be Licensed with the City and also show proof of Liability Insurance to verify they have been approved by the city. Before any work is performed a City Permit must be Purchased from the city, or County where they reside if it is required.
Many Roofing Contractors will submit estimates for Roof Replacements using standard materials and will not disclose this to the prospective clients. Most cities and counties only require items such as drip edge, Standard Tar Paper Underlayment, and Shingles when they replace an existing roof. If these roofs have existing valley metal, many installers will leave it on the existing roof and simply install new underlayment over it and install the new shingles. Others will ignore bad decking if it has issues due to leaks, and unless the client is courageous enough to get on the roof, these kind of issues will be covered up.
- The proper installation includes Covering the perimeter of the home with Plastic Tarps to protect the client’s plants and shrubs during the installation of the roof, and to catch any debris and nails falling off the Roof. Also Place 4’ x 8’ Sheets of Decking in front of the Garage Doors and Windows which could be damaged during the install.
- Next removing all existing material from the existing roof including all valley metal, damaged decking, Large & Small Roof Vents, and the existing Pipe Jacks. Once all these materials are removed, inspect all the current decking, and replace any damaged or rotten wood. Replace with new decking.
- Next step is to install Ice & Water Shield in all valleys located on the roof. Note: Most City codes DO NOT require this item.
- Next, install New Valley Metal in all the valleys. Note: Most Cities DO NOT require this to be done.
- Next Step is to Install Synthetic Underlayment (Type of Waterproof Underlayment). Note; Most Cities Only Require Standard Black Tar Paper which DOES NOT Provide any Moisture Barrier on the roof and prevent leaks.
- Next Step is to install Drip Edge around the Perimeter of the roof which secures the underlayment and also covers the Facia Board on the top edge of the roof. This will prevent the Facia Board from rotting due to water draining off the roof.
- Next Step is to install Starter Shingles around the Entire perimeter of the Roof. Note: Most Cities DO NOT Require this item to be Installed. This Prevents the 1st layer of Shingles on the roof from being Blown Off under high winds which usually will damage many additional layers of the roof requiring an expensive repair.
- Next Step is to install the new Roofing Materials. These will vary in cost based on the style of Shingle which is being replaced. Warranties will vary among different manufactures so make sure you have this in writing and a copy of the Brochure will validate this information.
- Once all the shingles are installed, all the tarps and roof debris needs to be picked up and dropped in the Dump Trailer. Installers then need to walk the entire property with Magnets to pick up any remaining nails which may be on the ground on the property.
- Finally, walk the property with the Client to Inspect the new roof and make sure all work was performed to their satisfaction. Once the Dump trailer is removed from the driveway, make sure all nails have been picked up and blow any debris off the driveway.
- This is the proper way all roof installs and roof repairs should be handled at any client’s property.
Additional Items to Discuss with the Roofing Company.
Do they have a Website? Are they listed with Better Business Bureau, Angie’s List, Yelp, Facebook, or any other similar Company?
This will help to verify this is an established Company you can trust in doing business with for your project.
A Roof 4 You Meets all of these Standards on Every Installation we perform for our clients.
Please Call us for a FREE Inspection and Proposal for your Roof Replacement.
We look Forward to Serving You.
Steward of Business